Followers

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Musings on a Sunny Day

It was a warm sunny day. In these holidays, I have had this rare chance to laze around in Singapore. I have been reading a lot in the past few days. I have also managed to maintain my daily diary routine. It has given the right avenue for my writing pangs. I am a writer. Yes.

I purchased the June editions of National Geographic, BBC Knowledge and the Time magazines. I also bought Neil Gaiman's 'The Ocean at the End of the Lane' and Tolkien's 'Hobbit'. I am currently reading the magazines and the Gaiman book. I am also reading Vikram Seth's 'An Equal Music'. I believe I have my hands full with this list. 

The cover article on the Nat Geo magazine titled 'Hero Dogs' is a fascinating insight into the world of military dogs. The writer and the photographer have succinctly documented the role and the relevance of military dogs. The pictures in the story freeze the importance of the dog-dog handler relationship. Their role is well-inscribed in the rulebooks of the military. 

The impact of the Afghanistan mission has a telling silhouette on the American troops, its machinery and the dogs. What fascinates me in this canvass is the role of the man's best friend.

What the story does not cover is how the Afghan have received the involvement of military dogs? These dogs have played an important role in identifying IED's in the Afghan landscape. 

The article notes the rigorous selection process of these dogs. How a dog needs to be calm and zen when facing explosions and rapid movements during a battle is crucial for its consideration in the military.

Man's best friend has indeed been a true companion in all situations. What matters is that we reciprocate on the same template and ensure that these beautiful creatures are not abused anywhere.   

No comments: